Thursday, August 22, 2013

The land of Alfajores...

This is a serious matter.





The Alfajor is the best dessert I have ever had. Ever. This cookie first took me by surprise when my Chilean Mom served it to me after lunch probably three days into my semester here. I was so full from lunch that I couldn't really appreciate the Alfajor. It's a meal in itself to be honest. Plenty of carbs, calories, richness, and of course, it's homemade by Nelly. It's SO GOOD!

An Alfajor is dulce de leche sandwiched by two delicious cookies, then covered in chocolate. They come from the Arabic dessert known as an Alajú, but since they came from Spain to South America they changed the ingredients a lot from the Alajú (Alfajores are much more simple than the Alajú). Nelly and Belen make these, wrap them, put that fancy sticker on, and they go sell them by the bus station for about 800 chilean pesos (~$1.70). When they make them, Carrie and I always get a small stash from Nelly before they send them off with Belen for the day. Since I found out about the Alfajor, I have tried many other types here, but Nelly's are the best and I am loyal to hers alone ;)


Yes... I made a collage for the Alfajor...

Hope you enjoyed the silly blog! Except I felt it was entirely necessary, because I seriously love these cookies. You should see Carrie's and I reaction when we get some from Nelly. She laughs at us because they are so common here.
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment