Thursday, August 8, 2013

New friends, and new customs.

Last night was the first night we all went out without an agenda, except to have a good time. We went to a couple of bars that were fun, and gringos must be entertaining because we just order random drinks to try them out. The most popular drink in Chile is pizco sour, because it's made here. We had pizco and coke. I did not like it at all, probably because here in Chile they don't measure out the drinks. They just fill the glass with pizco and hand you the coke. They filled the glasses about 3/4 with pizco! Gross! I'm not a hard liquor fan anyway, so after trying a friends' pizco, I went for a Peruvian style beer.

This led into a fun conversation with some new friends. I met Dario, Pedro, Samm, and another guy who I cannot for the life of me understand what his name is. He repeated it to me several times and my tongue refused to pronounce it properly (no, it wasn't the drinks). They are from Mexico, and they are all here studying "negocios" or business. They attend the same University as me, but they go to a different campus because they are fluent, obviously. Their spanish is much easier for me to understand because they annunciate and talk slower than Chileans. That was refreshing! They were a great group and hilarious when it came time for me to order my beer. Samm informed me that the guys would be surprised because in Mexico, girls don't really drink beer. So when I ordered it, she told them that I was "muy fuerte" or very strong. I just told them it's a Colorado thing, especially a Fort Collins thing. We are going to meet up with them at their apartment sometime next week and they are going to cook a typical Mexican dinner for us. Then next week we will cook something for them. Any suggestions? hannahbinchile@outlook.com

Another great thing to get used to is Chilean greetings (I think it's really a South American thing). I have never been kissed by so many people in one day! No one had started greeting us with the "cheek kiss" until about yesterday. I was saying goodbye to one of the Chilean students who helps out with the International Students and he went in for the cheek kiss, which totally caught me off guard. Ha but now I am a pro, and it's cheek kisses all around. I actually like it better than the awkward "Do I wave at you, or give you a hug?" greeting that is typical in America. Here, everyone just kisses, even if you don't know them.

This weekend I am going to Horcon beach, which is an hour bus ride north of Viña. According to my host mom we are going to be very cold. Good thing I'm a winter girl :)
Hope all is well in the States! Thanks for the emails, they totally made my day today :)
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment