Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Mi familia Chilena

My Chilean family. It's about time they had a post dedicated to them, because they are one of the biggest blessings I have received here. Today was my host mom's birthday (Nelly). It was a quiet day this morning, and she was continuing with her typical daily chores like it was no big deal. So what did I do? Well, I had no idea what to get her for a present, so I promptly made my bed, cleaned my room till it looked like I had moved out, and I hid my dirty laundry. She does our laundry everyday, cleans my room, makes my bed, and cooks every meal. So I tried to stop all that nonsense on her birthday. Well, that smart woman still found a way to clean my room... and she found my laundry.

I was kind of curious if Chileans get to celebrate their birthday. But when I got home this evening, the house was filled with people! There was homemade empanadas, guacamole, artichoke dip, CEVICHE, and lots of alcohol. It was a little too much fast Spanish talking for me to gather everything, but Chileans know how to have a good time. I was really glad to celebrate the night with Nelly, the family, and all her friends. I was able to take some pictures with them, so you all can finally see my mysterious host family :)


This is Belen, my 21 year old Chilean sister and her son, Jorge. 
He's actually called Jorgito (little George).


Gosh, he's to die for!



This is Enrique (my chilean dad)





As you can tell, I have a wonderful family here, and I couldn't have asked for better. Belen and her son Jorge are always super busy, as she is studying to be a nurse, and Jorge is busy simply because he is a 2 year old... and he's figuring out all the mischief he can get into. Enrique is an electrical engineer, so he works a lot and we only get to see him in the evenings, but it's great to sit down and chat with him at dinner. Nelly has a servants' heart, and spoils the heck out of Carrie and I. We never have to do anything cause she won't let us. (Don't worry mom, I still make my bed and wash my dishes so she knows you raised me well). She just comes in after me and does it better ha.

That's the fam! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment