Sunday, August 11, 2013

Horcon, Chile. A humble little paradise.

So this past weekend in Horcon was incredibly fun! When we arrived I was a little worried because it was absolutely freezing and there's no central heating in any houses. So we got to our little house that CEA rented for us and it was just cold. Cold cold cold. So we all bought food to make some snacks and dinner, then grabbed 5 blankets each and made little cocoons in our bed. It felt like camping! I woke early the next morning to walk to the beach, and this is what I saw.







If you ask me, this photo (above) is a wonderful description of Horcon. They work very hard to make their living. It's a good life for them, because I didn't see too much poverty there, but they work hard to have the lives they have. I take a lot for granted.








If the pictures don't say enough, I'll say some more. The community in Horcon is very friendly, and very close. When the fishermen come into shore in the morning, everyone is ready to get them on shore and start getting the catches all ready. The fish and clams were still moving when I took those pictures. Then the people who aren't fishers come and start ordering their fresh food for the day. It's like a neighborhood party in the boats. Coffee and bread, conversation, and community. I loved witnessing it! Our CEA Mom (Lilly is the CEA rep, but she's really a mom to us) cooked us fresh clam soup, and fried up some congrio, which are those fish I took a picture of. It was all really amazing seafood!! And these people know how to cook it! It will be hard to top!

Our little house in Horcon was like a cabin, and we really got into that! The second night we all bought sausage and stuff for s'mores. It was a super fun time, and we all smelled like we had been camping by the end. 


The s'mores were wafers, some type of milk chocolate, and marshmallows. But I think marshmallows here taste much better than in the States!




All in all I really loved Horcon, Chile. It was a humble little paradise, and the people were very inspiring. I took some photos of the landscape, which was beautiful! (below)










(Below)
"Feria de Artesania" - Artesian Fair 
We went here and saw some amazing handcrafted items.




The picture below is my favorite!


Send prayers my way for classes! They start tomorrow, but lucky us, we have a four day weekend this weekend because of the Assumption of Mary! Woo! Starting off school with 3 days of class. Thank you Mary. Love that.
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment