Sunday, September 1, 2013

Will I ever get used to that?

Over the course of a month you start to really notice little things that Chileans do that are just different enough to be funny. Then you wonder, "Will I ever get used to that?" or even worse "Will I start to do that too?" For the most part, I have been pleasantly surprised by how not different the people are here. For the most part we have the same humor, common sense, moral compass, and ideas of fun. That makes things a lot easier. It also makes noticing the small things easier. Like after living with your good friend for a while, the little things they do start to stick out the most.

The first thing that I noticed almost from the beginning was probably also one of the funniest. Chileans do not smile when they get there picture taken! It's ridiculous! It's like that half smile that people usually make when they're really bored. You could be on this amazing tour of um I don't know, a volcano, and they're all grins until the camera comes out. Then it's the serious face with a half smile... why may I ask? The best part is that after their picture is taken, they give you a HUGE smile to say thank you for taking the picture. It takes some effort on my part not to laugh. Americans are all grins all the time though, so maybe to them we just look like a bunch of clowns trying to make life seem bigger and better than it is.
So it's either...


Or...


I still think I choose the first one. At least you get a laugh out of it ;)

The next thing that I have noticed about Chileans is that they are really good at whistling. Not the derogatory whistling at the girl on the street (cause that happens everywhere in the world), but the casual walking down the street whistling. It's actually quite impressive, and I most of the time I enjoy listening to it. Unless it's dark out and I didn't realize that person was there until they started whistling... that freaks me out a little. 

Alright so, America has gotten more comfortable with PDA in the last 10-20 years, but not like they are here. I hate PDA. I don't really consider holding hands bad PDA, or ever the cute little goodbye kiss... but here it's just gross. If we go to the beach, we are going to see so much PDA that it makes us uncomfortable. The beach makes a little more sense I guess. But even on the buses, at the schools, or some random couple on the sidewalk. It's just weird! Most people would say "Get a room!", but I want to say "Get a hobby!" Gringos are definitely the only ones who care though, so once again, it's a culture thing. 

I am getting used to being part of a minority. I have never known the small struggles that can come with it. You have to have some tough skin to be in the minority, or you're going to grow some. I am getting used to being stared at all the time, and not caring. I care less and less about looking like an idiot, because I think I already do every time I open my mouth and try to say something in Spanish. I really am just used to being odd. Something I haven't really gone through. In some ways it's liberating! Other days, I just want to wear a shirt that says "Yes, I have blonde hair and freckles. Go on with your day please." Chileans are very good people though, so it's all completely worth it, and I will be a better person because of every aspect I experience here. 

Please send some prayers my way for classes! They're getting tricky... somedays it's like my teachers are speaking a different language ;) Adios! 



No comments:

Post a Comment