Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Ten Days and Ten Things.

Today is officially 10 days away from home... again, I don't quite believe it. I am soaking up all the beach time I can... especially when I get a text from my friend saying that there is 18 inches of snow forecasted in Fort Collins. I cannot tell you how strange it is going to be coming from a little ocean-side paradise here to winter wonderland there! Not to mention that the days will seem so short when I get back! Here the sun rises at about 7am, and sets around 9pm. In CO the sun rises at 7am and set at 4:30pm!! I am losing 5 hours of sun when I get back! That's so unfair! I'll probably start to feel tired around 6 or 7pm. It's going to be ridiculous getting used to the weather changes.

The weather might be something that I will miss when I get back, even though winter is my favorite season. I decided to make a list of ten things I definitely won't miss about Chile... Just to make leaving a little easier.

  1. I will definitely not miss the obnoxious PDA. Everywhere you go you will find a Chilean couple making out... Even in the most ridiculous places (i.e. Buses, checkout lines, sidewalks, restaurants... You get the picture.)
  2. I won't miss having to dodge dog poo on the sidewalks... Which probably means I also won't miss the stray dogs.
  3. It will be nice when I go out to eat in the States and I don't have to wait forever to receive the check. Here they wait until you ask "por la cuenta, por favor" (check please!), but they don't come by the table often for you to ask, and after you do ask for the check it takes another 10-15 minutes to get it. Gosh it's annoying. (But the nice thing is that tip is only 10%).
  4. Cat calling. Grrrrr. I am going to think that every American boy is a proper gentleman when I return! Just for the fact that I will be able to make eye contact with them on the street, and I won't get a whistle or inappropriate comment back. I avoid eye contact with all men here for that reason. It's rude, and unfortunately part of the culture here. 
  5. I won't miss Chilean time. I know that I live in Colorado where we have mountain time (meaning everything is 5 minutes late, not the actual time zone just people in general are 5 minutes late to everthing). Chilean time means that everyone is about 30-45 minutes late! I am not exaggerating. When a meeting or anything is set for a time, the person that comes on time will be alone for the first 30 minutes. It's a bit absurd. Hopefully I haven't picked up that habit too badly. 
  6. Definitely not going to miss the honking cars and buses! They're all the boy who cried wolf! Everyone honks for any reason (even to scare a gringo). I didn't realize I was one of those people who had a trigger for my grumpy mood... but Chile found it out! When a bus honks and I jump out of my skin (probably pee a little too) it's puts me straight into a bad mood. 
  7. I won't miss always being worries about being robbed. My roommate has been robbed twice and neither time was her fault. It's just part of being a gringo in a city. It's part of any large city life, even in the States. So I guess that combined with the cars and buses, I'm just not really going to miss the city that much. The pollution is killing my lungs as well. 
  8. I won't miss being stared at all the time! Goodness people! I'm not even blonde! It's a light brown, and my tan makes me darker than you, therefore I'm not that white so stop it! I don't have to speak the same language to know that you're staring at me!!!
  9. Dubbed movies are dumb movies... not really, it's just annoying when Harry Potter sounds like a girl and can't say Ron without sounding like he's saying rum.  
  10. I will not miss the lack of a personal bubble... especially on buses. Like, lady thanks but I don't want your gut on my cheek and in my ear. Then when you're waiting to cross the street, and there's plenty of standing space the chilean choses to stand arm to arm. Sir? Would you like to hold my hand? Cause I'm just not really looking for that right now. It's very strange how the bubble doesn't exist in Chile. I am ready to re-enter mine when I step of that plane back into the States!
If these are the worst things I can think of about Chile, I'd say that I had a pretty typical/great experience abroad! Which I have! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment