Sunday, November 17, 2013

Nelly's remarkable cooking...

I don't know if I have illustrated this fact enough in my blog so here goes... My host mom, Nelly is probably the best cook I have ever met in my life. Never has one person been able to astound me with every meal she makes. She hardly ever makes two meals twice, and waiting to see what she cooks everyday is the best game on earth! You sit at the table smelling something you've never smelt before and voila! The best meal you've had yet. Then the next day beats the day previous, and so on and so forth.

I know I sound dramatic... but just ask my roommate Carrie if this is all true. We got the best host family on the planet, and we are thoroughly convinced of it. To prove it, I decided to take pictures of all our meals this week to show them off. This is just a typical week in the life of the Anjari household!
This is a pear that was boiled in red wine, then doused in meringue creme frosting!

I don't know what this is called, but it was a raspberry yogurt type pie... SO GOOD!

Pastel de mariscos, which is a dish that I can only describe as a seafood pot pie! Some lemon and cheese on top with a glass of white chilean wine. Nelly made this because my roomie Carrie is out of town, and she doesn't like seafood so Nelly told me that I have to take advantage of the fishy foods while she's gone. Happy Sunday.

One random night Nelly decided to make us chocolate covered strawberry's!

Rice with veggies, and homemade meatballs!

Manzana Asada. An apple stuffed with marmalade and sugar, then baked in an oven and covered with a sweet creme. Served cold... and usually served after a good ole' barbecue. 

I don't really know how to describe this because I haven't had anything like it before. Its a salad with crab meat, mushrooms, sesame seeds, and other good stuff. 

I came home one day and was telling Nelly how hot it was outside, and she came to my room 5 minutes later with a café helado (coffee with ice cream). She's so good to me!

Homemade queque de platanos (banana bread).

It looks funny I know, but this is another fishy meal I got to enjoy since Carrie is gone. On the right is a tuna salad type thing, and it surprisingly wasn't too fishy tasting, which is usually the bad thing about tuna. It was really good! Then of course on the left is the famous quinoa mix that Nelly makes. It's quinoa with salt, lemon, fresh cut tomatoes, and avocado!

That's an oven full of empanadas. That's a recipe for an afternoon nap. 

Raspberry pie, no big deal.

Crepe with chocolate ice cream in the middle. Again... no big deal. 

Fried fish with a fresh salad!

Remember that this is just a weeks worth of food! So after all the ooooing and awwwwing at the food, I can hear everybody (the women at least) thinking, "Wow, that's a lot of calories..." 
Yeah I know, I'm enjoying every bit of the food, but I am also working out more this semester than I ever have ha. 
I am trying to keep up with it, but let's just say... Nelly is too good of a cook sometimes ;) You can stop drooling now, ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment